On the air – radio interviews
- Deadlines are usually hourly.
- News stories and newscasts are very brief – 30-second stories with a 10-second soundbite.
- Most interviews will be done by phone, taped and edited for broadcast.
- Reporters may show up for events and announcements.
- Radio listeners only hear you once. They can’t reread what you’ve just said so speak clearly, simply and slowly.
- Use short and complete sentences.
- Energize your voice to give it character and colour and grab listeners’ attention.
- Smile (radio pros call this “putting teeth in it”). Listeners won’t see your ear-to-ear grin but they’ll hear it in your voice.