Below we provide you with 3 essential steps to telling your brand story to media. From laying the ground work to pitching your story and following-up, we outline best practices along with some helpful links to our blog.
Step 1: Lay the groundwork
- Determine what makes your story newsworthy
Does your release have “news value”?
- Tell your story through pictures, video and sound (this will increase the likelihood of media pick-up)
Tell your story with photos and Telling stories with video.
- Collect facts to verify your story
Step 2: Pitch your story
- Find out who has covered your topic
How to connect with reporters.
- Identify reporters who might be interested
DIY media outreach
- Write and send your pitch – you have about 30 seconds – make it count!
Step 3: Leverage media coverage
- Prepare for an interview with three talking points (we like to call these ‘the three aces’) – The key to a great interview.
- Thank the reporter– often a forgotten step and truly helps build your relationships with the media
- Plan for other stories you can share next week, month or next year How to tell stories for print and broadcast.
About the Author
Deanna White has always been passionate about marketing and public relations. Owner of storylinePR, Deanna is best known for taking it beyond the pitch. For building brands & bottom lines with the right channels to share your story. http://www.storylinepr.ca.