Being nominated or even winning an award can propel your business to amazing new heights. You will benefit from increased sales, (Research shows that people like to do business with companies connected to the community), valuable exposure within the business community and media, boosts in employee morale, credibility as a solid member of the community from a third-party authority and increased traffic to your website, (just to name a few).
How to generate PR and credibility with awards
- Send a news release to your local newspaper and to trade publications.
- Include news of your nomination or award in your e-newsletter.
- Post the news on your website.
- Send communication to your past and current clients and acknowledge them by thanking them for their role in your career success. Your gratitude will make them feel appreciated.
- Viral marketing such as twitter, facebook and LinkedIn doesn’t hurt either.
One of the local award opportunities that I am personally involved in is the Women’s Business Network. The Businesswoman of the Year Awards recognizes the accomplishments of women who live, work and play an active role in a business in the National Capital Region. Here is a link to the outstanding women who were the recipients and finalists of last years’ event.
The PR value might be difficult to measure on the bottom line, but the experience and publicity are invaluable. Even if you don’t win, simply participating could open doors you didn’t even know existed. Nominations for the Businesswoman of the Year Awards are open until Nov.19th – so if you are looking to build some credibility and get some PR value out of your community involvement as an Ottawa-based business woman, go ahead and complete the online nomination form. You really have nothing to lose and everything to gain.